My Top 10
We all want that magic pill, that quick fix don’t we? As much as I wish that there were such a thing, I’ve found that I like working for my body. I like sweating, rewarding my body with clean foods, and pushing myself each and every day. It’s a challenge that we must work for and I gladly accept the challenge. Since there isn’t that magic pill or quick fix, I can at least share my top 10’s with you. My top 10 pantry items, my top 10 fridge items, and my top 10 tricks.
Top 10 Pantry Items
I ALWAYS have the following items stocked in my pantry to ensure clean eating daily:
1. Tuna packets/cans packed in water
2. Reduced sodium black beans
3. Whey or plant based protein powder
4. Organic/All natural Peanut Butter (I use Naturally Nutty’s hemp and flax seed PB)
5. Green Tea bags, Black Tea bags, Herbal Tea bags, Coffee
6. Brown Rice (cups or bag) and/or Quinoa
7. Almonds, almonds, almonds, almonds
8. Larabars (all flavors)
9. Old fashioned oats and/or Steel cut oats
10. Stevia (bulk bag and individual packets)
Top 10 Fridge/Freezer Items
Just like the pantry items above, I ALWAYS have these items stocked in my fridge to ensure daily clean eating:
1. 0% Plain Greek Yogurt (I like Oikos)
2. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk (Silk or So Delicious)
3. Fresh Spinach
4. Eggs and Egg whites (carton)
5. Fish (Salmon, Tilapia, Flounder)
6. Chicken (organic breasts or tenderloins)
7. Veggies (asparagus, bell peppers, broccoli, squash)
8. Bob Red Mill’s Wheat germ, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, and oat flour
9. Fruit (Bananas and frozen berries)
10. Meals prepped on Sunday and packed in containers-ALWAYS!
My Top 10 Daily Tricks
These are things that I do, habits that I have formed daily to ensure that I eat clean, work out and stay on track:
1. WATER– I have a water bottle EVERYWHERE I go. I prefer 1 Liter water bottles and have one filled and in the fridge and the other in my purse, my backpack, my work bag, gym bag, whichever bag I am carrying has a water bottle in it. When I go to the grocery store or to the movies, I have my water bottle. I target at least 3 Liters of water per day. Water is a MUST! Start carrying one with you everywhere you go today, it is an easy habit to form.
2. Running/Workout Shoes– I travel for work and the first thing I always pack are my running shoes. Keep your workout shoes and clothes nearby, pack them when you go to work so that you aren’t tempted to miss the gym when you get home to change. No EXCUSE!
3. Coffee/Tea– I love coffee and I love my tea. I drink 1 cup of black coffee (or sometimes sweetened with almond milk and 1 packet Stevia) and 1 cup of green tea for breakfast EVERY morning (even if I am traveling). Throughout the day, I drink 2-3 more cups of green tea and 1 cup of black tea. I drink all of my teas without sweeteners-it really doesn’t need it. Get in the habit of drinking unsweetened green or black tea with each meal today!
4. Workouts– I know what workout I am doing BEFORE I go to the gym or run. Always have a plan. I keep a workout log with printed copies of my workouts or other workouts that I have found (check out my Workouts Tab). I also write down my workouts and my timed runs for accountability.
5. Food Journal– When I first started to eat clean nearly 2 years ago, I knew that I needed to keep a food journal. I also knew that I could easily lie to myself and not write down a few items so I decided to keep track on my phone then EMAIL MY MOTHER my food journal at the end of each day. I kept at it for over 6 months and dropped 17 lbs. Keep track of what you eat-you will be amazed at the little things that you grab here and there. I don’t keep a food journal now but if I know there will be a challenging day ahead (i.e. party, holidays, etc) I will keep a food journal for the day to keep me on track!
6. Cook– cooking does take a lot of time, yes, but it is worth it! I cook or prep, if you will, on Sundays. I make 4-5 different meals and package them in separate containers. Food prep is KEY to eating clean. Check out my Recipes tab for some ideas.
7. Vitamins– I take a woman’s multivitamin and fish oil every morning and that’s it. I get the rest of my vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the foods I eat.
8.Eating- I eat every 3 hours which means that I eat while shopping, eat on planes, eat in the car, etc. If I know that I will be running errands when my next meal is coming up, I will pack a bag of almonds, sliced bell peppers, or a Larabar. ALWAYS have your food planned, even your snacks. I never go hungry! I have even gone as far as eating tuna on a plane-I got a few horrid stares so I don’t think that I will do that again any time soon. 🙂
9. Fiber- Fiber is very important for your diet and I make sure that I get enough! In my smoothies and in my greek yogurt, I always add 1 tsp chia seeds and flax seed meal (or just flaxseeds). You can find flax seeds at your local retailer and your chia seeds at a specialty store. Chia seeds, when in water, get all “gooey” which means that you can mash up some strawberries and make your own jam, or add in some chocolate protein powder and make your own chocolate pudding!
10. Random Workouts– I have my set weight workout and my cardio for the day but that doesn’t mean that I won’t drop down and do 10 push ups during my lunch break, or squats while brushing my teeth, or planks while waiting for my tea to heat up. Throughout your day, at work or not, do something! Every hour, on the hour, step away from your desk and do squats or lunges, flex your abs during a ridiculously boring meeting or conference call. Use your desk to do elevated pushups. Yes, you may get some stares but it’s worth it. These things add up-believe me!
Eat clean, pump some iron, and be a Fit Fox!